Through Atlanta United Foundation’s 2017 signature initiative, “The Next Great Pitch,” AUF seeks iconic, breakthrough ideas for the design and construction of a new mini-pitch in Metro Atlanta. The winning project will become an irresistible space that accelerates soccer participation among youth and adults and demonstrates how the sport can help unite a community. “The Next Great Pitch” builds on the momentum AUF generated in 2016 with the opening of the mini-pitch at MARTA’s Five Points station, the world’s first soccer pitch inside a mass transit station.
What It Takes to Create The Next Great Pitch
The Next Great Pitch will:
- Transform an unused or underused space – about the size of a tennis court or larger – into a one-of-a-kind asset that serves neighborhood youth and becomes a regional attraction.
- Create a distinctive play space that awakens the community to the possibility for soccer play anywhere, anytime.
- Be easily accessible.
- Stand out as a compelling public space that creates distinctive, uplifting experiences for users, even in times when there is no soccer programming.
- Allocate time for free play for local youth who would not otherwise get to play.
- Commit time for league play in ways that generate revenue that supports ongoing operations and maintenance.
- Make a 10-year commitment to operate the facility year-round and provide evidence of a maintenance plan.
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, schools and governmental agencies are eligible to submit entries.
- For-profit businesses, private developers and individuals are not eligible entrants but may partner with eligible groups on a submission.
- To be considered, all entries must be submitted via our Grants Portal by midnight May 31. Entrants must complete the online questionnaire.
- Proposed sites must be located within the 10-county area: Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Rockdale.
- Entries submitted via email or other methods will not be considered.
- From the initial round of entries, AUF will select finalists to submit complete grant applications.
- The winning proposal will be eligible for a grant of up to $200,000.
- The board of The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation will make all grant decisions, based on due diligence and recommendations from a team of Atlanta United associates.
- Based on the quality of submissions, AUF may award more than one grant or may not award any grants.
Branding and Partnership Requirements
- The Atlanta United Foundation reserves the right to add-in branding elements to the field or the space - Foundation turf logo, fence signage, etc.
- In addition, Atlanta United will have access to the venue for programs and events each year. Dates and frequency to be mutually agreed upon by the winning organization and the soccer club.
- April 19 - Entry Period Opens
- May 31 - Entry Period Closes
- July 12 - AUF announces finalists
- July 19 - AUF Hosts Design Workshop, 9-11 a.m.
- August 23 - Deadline for Finalists to Submit Completed Proposals
- November 2 - AUF Announces “The Next Great Pitch”