- The last time these two clubs played each other at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, this happened.
- It's been a big week for Caleb Wiley. The Homegrown earned MLS Player and Team of the Matchday for his three goal contributions in the club's 3-0 clean sheet on the road against Charlotte FC.
- Atlanta United this week focused on fine tuning | The latest Training Notebook
- Two players have been ruled out for Saturday's match | Availability Report, presented by Piedmont
- Date: Saturday, March 18
- Kickoff time: 7:30 p.m.
- Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- Tickets: View tickets
How to watch, listen and live stream Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers
- TV: Watch on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV
- Listen: Local radio 92.9 The Game and La Mejor
- Live stream: Watch on your phone or device by subscribing to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app or visit https://tv.apple.com/.
Atlanta United is unbeaten after three matches, which marks the best start in club history. The team racked up wins against San Jose Earthquakes and on the road against Charlotte FC, and also have a point from a draw with Toronto FC. Portland Timbers, on the other hand, started off on a good note with three points in their season opener but have dropped two since to the teams currently atop the Western Conference standings: reigning MLS Cup champion LAFC and the red-hot expansion club St. Louis CITY SC.
This will be Portland's first trip to Mercedes-Benz Stadium since losing the MLS Cup 2-0 to Atlanta United in 2018. The Timbers did earn three points against Atlanta in the most recent meeting last season, beating the 5-Stripes 2-1 at Providence Park.
Players To Watch
Miles Robinson (Atlanta United) – The reliable center back for Atlanta United is having quite the return after missing most of the 2022 season due to injury. Robinson, who might looks even faster and stronger than he was before, helped the 5-Stripes post its first clean sheet of the season last week in the 3-0 shutout in Charlotte. This week, the 26-year-old celebrated his birthday, earned a spot on MLS Team of the Matchday and received his first callup to the U.S. men's national team since his injury. Keep an eye on Robinson and his counterparts on the backline as they look to earn their second straight clean sheet.
Zac McGraw (Portland Timbers) – On the other side of the pitch is another noteworthy defender, Portland's Zac McGraw. At 6-foot-4, the center back is an imposing presence on the backline for Portland -- as well as an aerial threat in the offensive third. Last week against St. Louis CITY SC, McGraw scored a header off a corner kick in the third minute to own the fastest goal in MLS to be scored so far this season. Robinson and Juanjo Purata for Atlanta United will need to make sure McGraw is marked tightly on set pieces.
Head coach Gonzalo Pineda on Portland Timbers:
"If I know something about Portland is they are always competitive, especially with Gio [Savarese]. No matter who they put on the field, they're always competitive, battle and fight for every ball. I know that side, so I don't think they're going to be feeling sorry for themselves for having a lot of injuries. They're going to come with everything, try to win and try to beat us. So, no assumptions at all."
Match Preview, Atlanta United vs Portland Timbers | AT&T Countdown to Kickoff | MLS Week 4