Atlanta United Media Policies and Guidelines
I. Media Services
Media members interested in being added or removed from the Atlanta United media distribution list, please send an email request, outlining your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, all team-issued releases are posted HERE and can be republished in their entirety.
Media requesting interviews with any Atlanta United players, coaches or staff must make arrangements with the Atlanta United communications department.
When requesting interviews, media must notify Atlanta United what outlet they are representing, what the general focus/purpose of the interview is, as well as notification of any audio or video to be taken. Ultimately, any interview request will be at the discretion of the Atlanta United communications department, and the respective player or coach.
Inquiring media are urged to give the club’s communications department ample time to coordinate the interview. All proposed one-on-one interviews should be submitted within at least 24 hours of the intended time.
Each week during the season, the Atlanta United communications department will distribute a schedule containing player/coach availability for the upcoming week. All dates and times will be subject to change at the discretion of Atlanta United’s communications staff.
Any Spanish-speaking media request can be made to Justin Veldhuis.
Audio, Video and Photo Requests
Media are welcome to utilize digital assets captured by Atlanta United Communications staff. Visit atlutd.com/media for more information.
II. Player/Coach Availability
Per MLS rules, all Atlanta United First Team training sessions are open to credentialed media members. Media availability will be determined on a week-to-week basis with details laid out in the team’s official weekly schedule to be distributed on Sunday night or Monday morning.
Media availability will typically take place during the first or final 15 minutes of each training session, with interviews to follow the session’s conclusion. Atlanta United players are available to talk on a daily basis; however, media are encouraged to follow the weekly player schedule or contact a member of the club’s communications staff to set up a one-on-one interview.
Head coach Gonzalo Pineda
Head coach Gonzalo Pineda addresses the media on a weekly basis, typically two days before each scheduled match. Interview requests outside of that time period can be made through Atlanta United’s communications staff.
President and CEO Garth Lagerwey
President and CEO Garth Lagerwey will be made available by appointment only during the regular season. All requests for Lagerwey should go through Chris Winkler.
Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra
Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra will be made available by appointment only during the regular season. All requests for Bocanegra should go through Chris Winkler.
Assistant Coaches/Technical Staff
Other members of the Atlanta United technical staff are not permitted to talk with media, unless otherwise noted. Special requests can be made through the Atlanta United communications department and are subject to approval.
III. Match Credentials and Match Day Information
Media applying for a season-long credential must plan on attending at least 13 of the club’s matches. The process typically opens to all media members in mid-January. For special requests, please contact a member of Atlanta United’s communications staff.
In order to ensure space in the press box, all season-credentialed media should confirm match attendance with a member of Atlanta United’s communications staff at least three (3) days prior to the match, via written correspondence.
Atlanta United has the right to approve or deny any requests, in addition to reserving the possibility of terminating a season-long credential, with just cause as outlined under “Club Policies”.
Media interested in applying for single matches can find the credential application at atlutd.com/media. An email notification, containing match coverage approval or denial, will be sent back to all requesting media 24 hours prior to the match.
For each match at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, all credentialed media members (season-long or single-game) will receive an email confirmation from Atlanta United Communications approximately 24-to-48 hours prior to the scheduled kickoff time. If you have been approved, but do not receive this, please reach out to email@example.com.
Unless otherwise noted, all approved match-day applicants will receive a reserved parking pass from Atlanta United’s Communications staff at least two (2) days prior to each home match.
Season-credentialed media will receive a parking code prior to the start of the season that will cover all matches at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Media members will be required to pick up credentials at Mercedes-Benz Media Will Call, which is located to the right of Gate 1 (Northside Drive) alongside general ticket will-call windows. The media will call window is the furthest window on the left and opens two (2) hours prior to the scheduled kickoff time. The media gate (Gate 1) opens simultaneously.
IV. Media Access at Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Media are allowed to enter Mercedes-Benz Stadium two (2) hours prior to kick-off via the stadium’s Media entrance, located at Gate 1.
All seats are assigned. Media members can find their seat assignment by referring to any of the posted seating charts throughout the press box.
Field-Level Photo Work Room
The photo work room at Mercedes-Benz Stadium is located on the field level concourse, closest to Tunnel 2.
Post-Game Press Conference Room
The home team press conference for Atlanta United matches is located on the field level concourse, on the North side of the building, closest to the Delta Sky Club.
Per league rules, the Atlanta United locker room will be open to all credentialed media 15 minutes following the conclusion of the match and close 45 minutes after the match. In some instances, the locker room may open earlier.
Field access is restricted to media members carrying all-access or photography passes. Photographers must check-in with the head photo marshal, stationed inside the Field Level Photo Work Room, to receive the proper media vest that ensures field access.
Broadcast non-rights holders are only allowed to shoot the first 15 minutes of each half.
V. Other Club Policies
Media credentials are issued with the purpose to produce Atlanta United-related content due to specific field and locker access. Pursuant the MLS Media Access Policy, media members guilty of the following actions may result in seizure of credential and/or ejection of its wearer from the stadium or training facility:
- Requesting autographs at any time.
- Taking photographs with players/coaches
- Using credential for family or friends of working media members
- Conducting unauthorized interviews
- Unprofessional behavior (Cheering in the press box, consumption of alcoholic beverages, failure to abide by posted rules, etc.)
In addition to the above, still-use cameras are prohibited within the club’s locker room, unless given prior approval.
Use of the press box is designated for working media. Members are not permitted to be utilizing that access to take in the game as a supporter. In addition, cheering is not permitted in the Atlanta United press box and will be subject to removal from the area.
MEDIA INFORMATION & GUIDELINES FOR 2023 ATLANTA UNITED SEASON
- All media facilities, including media will call, press box and photo work room, will open two hours before scheduled kick-off time unless otherwise noted. Media will not be able to access the stadium before that time without approval from Atlanta United Communications.
- Media will call is located next to Gate 1 alongside general ticket will-call windows. The media will call window is the furthest window on the left. This area can be found on the northwest side of the stadium, near the intersection of Northside Drive and Carter Street NW.
- Wireless internet is available in the press box, on the field, in the photo work room and in the post-game press conference area. A password is not needed, you will connect automatically.
- Courtesy meals for all credentialed media will be available both in the press box and in the field-level photo work room, with service beginning two hours prior to kickoff. This meal is strictly reserved for media members with a pre-approved dining symbol on their respective credentials. All members will be required to show their credential in order to access the food area. Media are asked to eat in their respective areas as meals are planned beforehand.
- Asking for photos or autographs of players or coaches is prohibited. Atlanta United may revoke a media member’s credential for such behavior.
- Written press media members will have access to the press box, press conference, and each team’s locker room. Due to limited space, field access will not be permitted at any time.
- All media members will check in at media will call, located to the right of Gate 1 (from building’s exterior).
- Media members should be prepared to show credentials upon entering the press box.
- The press box is located on Floor S2.
- Elevators can be found immediately upon entering Gate 1 by going right once inside of the venue. A bank of three elevators can be found, with the furthest elevator reserved for media.
- ENG/Photo media members will have access to the photo work room, field and press conference area.
- All media members will check in at media will call, located to the right of Gate 1 (from building’s exterior).
- ENG/Photo media members will need to check-in at the photo work room, located on field level at Tunnel 2. Upon entering through Gate 1, ENG/Photo members should go left on the field-level concourse, walk past the Atlanta United locker room before seeing Tunnel 2 on the northeast side of the building.
- Here media members will receive a pre-assigned media vest to grant appropriate access.
- Note: ENG/Photo media members will be required to exchange a photo identification in order to receive a vest. Identification will be returned to the media member after the vest is exchanged.
- Media members should be prepared to show your credential prior to entering the field.
PRESS BOX/WRITTEN PRESS
- Seating in the press box will be assigned. Media members should reference available seating charts located throughout the press box.
- Cheering will not be permitted in the press box. This area is for working media only.
- A limited number of Media Game Notes will be available in the press box.
- MEDIA ARE ENCOURAGED TO VISIT www.atlutd.com/media for digital copies of all relevant material distributed on match day.
FIELD-LEVEL PHOTO WORK ROOM/VIDEOGRAPHERS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS
- All ENG/Photo vests will be issued at the field-level photo work room, located at Tunnel 2.
- A head photo marshal will work the field-level photo work room. On the field, photo marshals will be stationed in each corner of the field.
- ENG/Photo media members will be permitted to shoot in the following areas:
- On both end lines, excluding inside the six-yard box and a five-foot buffer behind each Video Assistant Review location.
- On the bench-area sideline, behind the field boards, from the corner flag to the edge of the 18-yard box.
- The corner flag area near Tunnel 1.
- The corner flag area near Tunnel 4.
- Photographers and videographers may NOT enter the field of play before, during or after the game under any circumstance.
FOR TV CREWS (ENG / NON-RIGHTS HOLDERS)
- Non-rights holders (including local affiliates of rights holders) may only tape the first 15 minutes of each half from the areas outlined above.
- Post-match analysis and sign-off interviews can only take place after all players and coaches have left the field of play.
POST-GAME MEDIA PROCEDURES
- All post-game media access will take place either in the Atlanta United Locker Room or the post-game press conference room. Both areas are located on the field level concourse. To access either area, media should take the elevators from the press box to the bottom level, the field level concourse. Once there, media can follow signs for either the Atlanta United Locker Room or Delta Club, which is directly across the hall from the team’s locker room.
- At approximately 10 minutes following the conclusion of each match, Atlanta United will host a press conference featuring head coach Gonzalo Pineda. Members of the media will be directed to the press conference, from the team’s locker room, by working staff members.
- Per MLS rules, each team’s locker room will open to the media at 15 minutes following the conclusion of the match. Atlanta United’s locker room will close 45 minutes following the conclusion of the match.