Year-end award nominations have arrived. On Thursday, the league released its first batch of nominations for the MLS End-of-Year Awards. The list includes seven players and 12 total nominations for Atlanta United.
Leading the list for the 5-Stripes are Thiago Almada and Giorgos Giakoumakis. Both players received two nominations including for the most prolific award, the 2023 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player. Additionally, Almada was nominated for MLS Young Player of the Year and Giakoumakis is a nominee for MLS Newcomer of the Year.
Two members of Atlanta United were nominated for the MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Goalkeeper Brad Guzan and center back Miles Robinson made the list. Both players returned to play in 2023 after undergoing season-ending injuries early during the club's 2022 campaign.
Voting runs October 10-23. Current players, club technical staffs and media members will vote to determine the winners. Fans will have the opportunity to weigh in on the top plays of the season with both the AT&T 5G Goal of the Year and MLS Save of the Year presented by Allstate by casting their votes on MLSsoccer.com.
A full list of Atlanta's nominations is below:
2023 MLS Year-End Award Nominations for Atlanta United
- Landon Donovan MLS MVP - Thiago Almada, Giorgos Giakoumakis
- Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - Brad Guzan
- MLS Defender of the Year - Brooks Lennon, Miles Robinson
- MLS Newcomer of the Year - Giorgos Giakoumakis
- MLS Young Player of the Year - Thiago Almada, Caleb Wiley
- MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Brad Guzan, Miles Robinson
- Audi Goals Drive Progress Impact Award presented by MLS WORKS - Machop Chol
- Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year - Gonzalo Pineda