Thiago Almada’s stellar month continued on Tuesday as he was named to the 22 Under 22 presented by BODYARMOR, a list that ranks the top 22 players in MLS under 22 years of age.
Almada ranks no. 2 on the list. Jesús Ferreira of FC Dallas earned the top spot.
Almada joined Atlanta United in February from Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield of the Argentine first division. In his first season in MLS, Almada has led the team in assists (11) and is tied for third-best in goals scored (6). As an attacking midfielder, Almada also ranks among the best in the league in shot-creating actions, progressive carries and passes attempted.
To be eligible for the 22 Under 22 presented by BODYARMOR, players must be 21 or younger before the end of the 2022 regular season. Almada turned 21 years old on April 26.
The voting panel was made up by MLSsoccer.com staff, members of the MLS player department and external media. Voters were asked to rank players based on technical, tactical, physical and potential abilities.
The award tacks on to a quality month for Almada. Here are some of the highlights from the past several weeks:
- Scored the go-ahead goal in the club’s 4-2 win over Toronto FC on September 10.
- His goal against Toronto FC was voted Goal of the Week for MLS.
- Scored Atlanta United’s lone goal in a 1-0 win over Orlando City SC on September 14, helping the club earn its first consecutive wins of the season.
- Named to MLS Team of the Week consecutive times on September 12 and 15.
- Called up to the Argentina senior national team for the first time for the September FIFA international window. He’s just the second Argentine from MLS to earn a call up to the national team (Pity Martinez, 2019).
- Earned the no. 1 spot in FIFA ratings of highest potential of players 26 and under in MLS.
Thiago Almada scores a beautiful goal after a one-two with Andrew Gutman at Orlando