All five Atlanta United Academy teams were in action this past weekend. The Atlanta United U-12s were the lone team staying in the Metro Atlanta area, taking on local club North Atlanta Soccer Association (NASA). The teams, with rosters large enough to split in two, played two games simultaneously with the final results of a win and a draw. With a fast and fluid attacking style, they dominated possession and defended well as a unit. Looking ahead to the upcoming weekend, the U-12s will face Southern Soccer Academy at Austell Park on Sunday morning.
The U-13s, U-14s, U-16s, and U-18s travelled to North Carolina this past weekend where all four teams competed against the Capital Area Railhawks on Saturday, and NC Fusion on Sunday. The ATL UTD Academy had an overall record of 6-2-0 and demonstrated firm determination, grit, and perseverance throughout the weekend. Highlights included U-16 midfielder, Remi Smith, scoring his first ever goal for the club.
Over the month of February there were eight Atlanta United Academy players called into youth national teams. U-16 leading goal scorer, James Brighton (pictured above), received his first call up to the U.S. U-17 Domestic Camp. In addition, Charlie Asensio (U-16) and Academy Homegrown Product, Chris Goslin, represented the U-17 USMNT as they traveled to San Pedro Sula, Honduras, where they faced fellow Atlanta teammate Alex Bahr, who suited up for the Honduras U-17s. Also present at the friendly tournament representing Jamaica’s U-17 squad were Blake White and Kendall Edwards, both of the U-16s. Goalkeeper Vicente Reyes and Forward Balmore Cruz-Quinones were called in by head coach Clint Peay for U.S. U-14 Training Camp in Carson, California.
Latest College Commitments:
U-16 and U.S. U-17 Residency member Charlie Asensio has committed to play Division I soccer at Clemson University in 2018.
U-18 Kevin Lingard has committed to play Division I soccer at Furman University in 2017.
Other Atlanta United Academy College Commitments:
- U-16 James Brighton - Clemson University (2018) - Division I
- U-16 Will Crain - Brown University (2018) – Division I
- U-18 Russell Shealy - Wofford College (2018) - Division I
- U-18 Michael Ille - Clemson University (2017) - Division I
- U-18 Kareve Richards - Mercer University (2017) - Division I
- U-18 Sam Morton - Princeton University (2017) - Division I
- U-18 Lagos Kunga - Furman University (2017) - Division I
- U-18 Bryce Washington - Rutgers University (2017) - Division I
- U-18 Machop Chol - Wake Forest University (2017) - Division I