Behind a brace from Pity Martinez, Atlanta United defeated Nashville SC 2-0 Saturday night at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in the club’s first match in the continuation of the MLS Regular Season schedule. Martinez scored in each half while Brad Guzan made five saves to preserve the clean sheet. Debutant Cubo Torres registered an assist, in addition to Mo Adams and Eric Remedi each picking up their first of the 2020 season.
Atlanta broke through in the 40th minute as Martinez nimbly sliced through the Nashville defense before finishing through Nashville goalkeeper Joe Willis’ legs. Remedi set the play up with a 40-yard ball right to Martinez’s feet, whose first touch played him into the box where he then deked Walked Zimmerman to have an open shot on goal. There, Martinez struck it with his left foot through the legs of Willis and into the back of the net.
Interim head coach Stephen Glass made one change at halftime, bringing on Miles Robinson for Fernando Meza, who took a knock in the first half. Glass also brought on Adams and Torres later in the half, with each combining to set up the second goal in the 87th minute. The play started with Martinez in Atlanta’s half feeding a through ball for Torres. Allowing the play to build, Torres played Adams toward the end line, where Adams then played back for Martinez. The Argentine hammered his first touch into the upper left corner, sealing his first two-goal performance in an MLS match.
Atlanta United (3-3-0, 9 points) returns to action Wednesday, Aug. 26 at Inter Miami FC (8:00 p.m., FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game), the first time they’ll face the expansion team. Atlanta returns to Mercedes-Benz Stadium Saturday, Aug. 29 against Orlando City SC (3:30 p.m., Univision, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
- Post-match interviews with Glass, Martinez, Guzan
- Post-Match Stats
- Full post match quote sheet with Atlanta and Nashville
Atlanta United 2, Nashville SC 0
Shots: 15-6 Nashville
Shots on Target: 5-4 Nashville
Corner kicks: 7-2 Nashville
Fouls committed: 14-13 Nashville
Clearances: 26-11 Atlanta
Offside: 2-1 Atlanta
Possession: 56-44 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 85-83 Atlanta
ATL – Pity Martinez (Eric Remedi) 40’ [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL – Pity Martinez (Mo Adams, Cubo Torres) 87’ [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL – Brooks Lennon (yellow) 6’
ATL – Anton Walkes (yellow) 28’
NSH – Daniel Lovitz (yellow) 48’
ATL – George Bello (yellow) 78’
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; George Bello, Fernando Meza (Miles Robinson – HT), Anton Walkes, Franco Escobar; Eric Remedi (Jeff Larentowicz – 85’), Emerson Hyndman (Mo Adams – 70’); Pity Martínez, Mattheus Rossetto, Brooks Lennon; Adam Jahn (Cubo Torres – 80’)
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Edgar Castillo, Mo Adams, Manuel Castro, Jake Mulraney, Jon Gallagher.
NASHVILLE SC STARTING LINEUP
Joe Willies; Jalil Anibaba (Taylor Washington – 85’), Daniel Lovitz, Walker Zimmarman, Dave Romney; Alistair Johnston (David Accam – 67’), Dax McCarty ©, Anibal Godoy, Hany Mukhtar (Daniel Rios – 81’); Randall Leal, Dominque Badji (Abu Danladi – 81’)
Substitutes not used: Elliot Panicco, Jack Maher, Brayan Beckeles, Matt LaGrassa, Derrick Jones.
Ted Unkel (referee), Corey Rockwell (assistant), Walter Heatherly (assistant), Marcos de Oliveira (fourth), Chris Penso (VAR)
- Pity Martinez scored his first two goals of the 2020 season. He now has seven career regular season goals for Atlanta United.
- Brad Guzan recorded his 37th clean sheet for Atlanta United, first of 2020 season.
- It was Eric Remedi’s third career assist with the club. His last came on July 7, 2019 against Houston Dynamo.
- Anton Walkes had a team-high 71 touches and 64 passes attempted.
- George Bello completed 92 percent of his passes (34-for-37).
- Pity Martinez had a team-high 32 passes attempted in the opponents half.
- Franco Escobar and Pity Martinez each had a team-high seven recoveries.
- Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 424th MLS Regular Season match, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (490).